Trestle on Tenth (NYC): Orley Ashenfelter & Stuart Pigott
The Rieslings of the new Rheinhessens
November 28, 2012
CNBC: Orley Ashenfelter in Street Signs
October 20, 2006
ABC: Orley Ashenfelter in Good Morning America
March 9, 1992
In the U.S. 2015
- Forbes September 9, 2015
5 Expert Strategies For Buying Wine
Robert Hodgson uncorks his wine-shopping strategy.
- The New Yorker July 29, 2015
Is there a better way to talk about wine?
By Bianca Bosker
- Slate Money July 4, 2015
The Wine Edition
Karl Storchmann discusses how wine ratings affect prices and how to decide what to spend on your bottle.
In the U.S. 2014
- Oregon Winepress Aug 1, 2014: Follow the Paper Trail.
By Neal Hulkower
- Washington Times Jan 30, 2014: Booze moment: Study finds that liberals and socialists drink more.
By Jennifer Harper
- Freakonomics Blog Jan 30, 2014: Who Drinks More: Liberals or Conservatives?
- TIME Magazine, Jan 29, 2014: Study: Liberals Booze More Than Conservatives.
By Katy Steinmetz
- Oregonian, Jan 29, 2014 Who drinks more, conservatives or liberals? It’s been studied. By Harry Esteve
In the U.S. 2013
In the U.S. 2012
- Wine Reviews Online June 19, 2012 The Judgment of…Princeton? By Linda Murphy
- Morss Global Finance June 18, 2012 The Judgment of Princeton – Its real significance.
- Wine Searcher June 18, 2012 Judgment Time in New Jersey.
- Huffington Post June 15, 2012 Fine Wine Prices Plunge: Invest Or Drink?
- Chicago Tribune June 15, 2012 Market plunges! In fine wine.
- Jersey Bites June 15, 2012 Hey France, we got your wines right here.
- TIME Magazine June, 14, 2012 Experts Deem Wines from New Jersey (!) as Good as France’s Finest.
- Blindtaste June 13, 2012 The Judgment of Princeton.
- Wikipedia June 13, 2012 Judgment of Princeton.
- Wall Street Journal blog June 13, 2012 Jersey Wines vs. Chateau Mouton Rothschild.
- The New Yorker, Johan Lehrer June 13, 2012 “Does All Wine Taste the Same?”
- Marginal Revolution June 13, 2012
Karl Storchmann reports from the front.
- JancisRobinson.com June 11, 2012 Judgment of Princeton, See attached PDF
- NJ Today June 8, 2012 “Judgment in Princeton” Could Be Turning Point For NJ Wine Industry – online – YouTube video
- NJBIZ May 31, 2012 “Economists Meet to Discuss Grapes of Graph.”
- Washington Post February 8, 2012 Guinness’s big contribution to economics research.
In the U.S. 2011
- Time Newsfeed July 6, 2011 Study: You’re Drunker Than That Wine Bottle Says You Should Be
- Huffington Post June 6, 2011 What’s in a Name? Wine, Economics, and Terroir, by Robert Stavins
In the U.S. 2010
- Freakonomics Radio, NPR December 15, 2010 Do More Expensive Wines Taste Better? Downloadable podcast
- National Public Radio NPR, Marketplace November 30, 2010 In vino veritas, Sort of
- Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, October 17, 2010 Spirits Science trumps wine dogma, and money can’t buy me love See attached PDF
- Wines & Vines October 13, 2010 Wine Ratings Spur Northwest Tourism
- The Philadelphia Inquirer January 21, 2010 Awash in wine; Judging the biggest American competition – 544 glasses worth – is a palate challenge, sobering and exhilarating
In the U.S. 2009
- Tri-City Herald (WA) December 1, 2009 Lies, damn lies and statistics, by Dan Berger See attached PDF
- Wall Street Journal November 20, 2009 A Hint of Hype, a Taste of Illusion
- Wines & Vines October 28, 2009 How Consumers Choose Wines
- Wines & Vines July 6, 2009 Organic Wine Label Rules Unclear:
- The Colbert Report – Fancy Feast May 11, 2009 Video: Stephen Colbert Fancy Feast
- Sacramento Bee April 22, 2009 Wine judging scrutinized after study finds inconsistent results See attached PDF
- Wines & Vines January 26, 2009 How Consistent Are Wine Judges?
In the U.S. 2008
- Wines & Vines August 19, 2008 Economists Question Real Value of Wine
In the U.S. 2007
In the U.S. 2006
- Bloomberg (December 18, 2006) Go Ahead, Splurge; Wine Proves Top Investment
- Financial Times November 17, 2006 “Dear Economist.” (Paywall-8 articles per month are free)
- The Economist October 12, 2006 Wine economics: fruity little numbers
- The New York Times July 15, 2006 “Economic Scene: in the language of gastronomy, those Michelin stars translate as dollar signs”
- Wine Lovers Page July 5, 2006 “Wine and the dismal science”
- Freakonomics Blog July 5, 2006 “Meet the American Association of Wine Economists (not a joke)”
Outside of the U.S. 2015
- www.gov.au On June 8, Kym Anderson received the highest honors at the Queen’s Birthday awards:
COMPANION (AC) IN THE GENERAL DIVISION OF THE ORDER OF AUSTRALIA
Outside of the U.S. 2014
- The Guardian January 17, 2014 Alcohol consumption higher in more liberal US states, study shows. By Robert Booth
Outside of the U.S. 2013
- The Observer (UK) David Derbyshire, June 23, 2013 Wine-tasting: it’s junk science.
Outside of the U.S. 2012
Outside of the U.S. 2011
- IOL Lifestyle (South Africa) July 14, 2011 How much alcohol is in that glass?
- National Post (Canada) Jul 10, 2011 School near fast-food joint? Expect fatter kids
- Daily Mail (UK) July 7, 2011 Wince that packs a bigger punch than you’d expect See attached PDF
- Stuff (New Zealand) July 6, 2011 Kiwi wines keeping it honest
- Midiamax News (Brazil) July 5, 2011 Fabricantes erram teor alcoólico de vinho em rótulos, diz estudo
- The Globe and Mail (Canada) July 5, 2011 Getting tipsy? Your wine bottle might be lying to you
- The Guardian (UK) July 5, 2011 Wine Alcohol Strength)
- Sunday Times (South Africa) June 25, 2011 The lighter side of bertimate change
- Vitisphere (France) June12, 2011 L’alcool dans des vins est une partie de Colin-Maillard
- Vin Québec (Canada) June 9, 2011 La hausse du taux d’alcool dans le vin n’est pas due au réchauffement climatique
- Decanter (UK) June 8, 2011 Climate change not responsible for rising alcohol levels: study
- The Independent (UK) May 31, 2011 Producers understate true strength of wines
- The Globe and Mail (Canada) February 1, 2011 Why wine drinking and monogamy go together
- The Times (UK) January 27, 2011 Sobering truths for wine buffs; Eat my words See attached PDF
- Sydney Morning Herald (Australia) January 2011, 2011 Never mind the year, that view’s a corker; wine
Outside of the U.S. 2010
- The Times (UK) July 10, 2010 Label table See attached PDF
- The Australian (Australia) July 5, 2010 To impress your guests, save cash on wine and go for a ritzy label
- Ottawa Citizen July 3, 2010 You can judge a wine by its label, study finds; The more pricey it seems the more enjoyable it is See attached PDF
- The Times (UK) July 3, 2010 Embarrassed by that cheap wine you’ve chosen? If the label looks expensive, you’ll get away with it. See attached PDF
- Yucasee Media (Japan) May 11, 2010
- Mail & Guardian (UK) April 16, 2010 Million-dollar palate
- The Guardian (UK) April 8, 2010 A taste for Bordeaux: The critics have just declared Bordeaux’s new vintage the best in living memory. But how can they judge wines that won’t be ready to drink for another few decades?
- The Calgary Herald (Canada) April 4, 2010 Uncork higher returns with a bottle of Bordeaux See attached PDF
- The Gazette (Canada) April 3, 2010 Fine wines are liquid assets that can outperform stock market See attached PDF
- National Post’s Financial Post & FP Investing (Canada) April 3, 2010 Liquid assets in your portfolio; Wine is a high-return low-risk delicious kind of investment
- The Globe and Mail (Canada) March 30, 2010 For buyers and cellars: wine’s robust returns
- Reuters (UK) March 13, 2010Liquid assets outperform Russell 3000 Index
- The Globe and Mail (Canada) March 2, 2010 The highs and lows of wine: Buy one Bordeaux or three bargain cab-sauvs?
Outside of the U.S. 2009
Outside of the U.S. 2008
- The Globe and Mail (Canada) September 29, 2008 Betting on the weather? How Canadian; To protect against warmer winters, a study suggests vintners could cushion their icewine crop with a well-placed wager See attached PDF
- Decanter (UK) April 18, 2008 Price more important than taste: Caltech study reinforced The Age (Melbourne, Australia) July 24, 2007 Do wine boycotts work?
Outside of the U.S. 2006
- New Zealand Herald (December 20, 2006) A fine time to invest in wine (but don’t drink the profits)
- Asti Group (Russia) November 4, 2006 Американские экономисты основали винный журнал
- Agronavigator (Czech Republic) Oct 20, 2006 “Co určuje cenu vína”
- Decanter (UK) May 18, 2006 Economists launch new wine journal
- Marketing del vino (Italy) May 17, 2006 American Association of Wine Economists